NIH Guidance: Foreign Influence
PI Quick Guide: New NIH Disclosure Requirements Overview: a new quick guide for NIH Other Support and Biosketch, including a flattening PDF instruction guide. See also: AssureSign Job Aid for NIH Other Support.
Statement on Protecting the Integrity of U.S. Biomedical Research: a memo from Francis Collins, NIH Director.
Guide Notice NOT-OD-19-114: NIH issued notice to remind investigators about the need to report foreign and domestic activities germane to their sponsored projects through careful documentation of other support, foreign components, and adherence to financial conflict of interest reporting processes (e.g., REPA reporting). NIH requires this information to prevent scientific, budgetary, or commitment overlap, and to ensure proper oversight of financial conflicts of interest before and while NIH funds are being expended.
FAQS - Other Support and Foreign Components: This information is frequently updated, so please check back periodically for new information.
- At time of competitive proposal: NIH Grants Policy Statement 2.5.1 Just in Time Procedures
- At time of progress report: RPPR Instruction Guide (Page 86) - See D.2.c Changes in other support.
Foreign Component (Work to be performed outside of the US)
- At time of competitive proposal: Research Instructions for NIH and Other PHS Agencies (Page R-39) - See Question 6: Does this project involve activities outside of the United States or partnerships with international collaborators?
- At time of progress report: RPPR Instruction Guide (Page 99) - See G.9 Foreign component.
- During the life of the project:
- NIH Grants Policy Statement 22.214.171.124 Foreign Component Added to a Grant to a Domestic or Foreign Organization: Prior approval is required to add a foreign component.
- NIH Grants Policy Statement 16.7.2 Change in Scope: Prior approval is required to change a performance site within a foreign country or to add a performance site in a new country.
- At time of competitive proposal: Biosketch Format Pages, Instructions and Samples - See section B.
- At time of RPPR:
- NIH and Other PHS Agency RPPR (Page 84) - Question: Is the individual’s primary affiliation with a foreign organization?
- NIH and Other PHS Agency RPPR (Page 86) - Biosketches are required only for new senior/key personnel.
- During the life of the project: Not required unless involving a change of PI or senior/key personnel named in the Notice of Award.