Entrepreneurial UMN Inventors
If you are a University researcher interested in commercializing your technology through a startup company, we invite you to follow the process below.
Remember that a startup may involve higher risks than licensing a technology to an existing company, but also offers the potential for higher returns. Let us work with you to evaluate the risk versus reward of pursuing a startup company.
Interested in starting a company based on your technology? We can help you bring your invention to the market.
Before following the steps below, be sure to disclose your invention to us.
- Contact a member of our team in the industry area related to you.
- Complete the startup application.
- Meet with us to review your startup application.
- Work with us to form a team (including industry advisors and CEOs-in-Residence) to develop your business plan.
- Meet with us to review your business plan.
- Update Report of External Professional Activities (REPA) for potential individual conflict of interest.
- Negotiate the business terms of launching your startup, such as performance and financial milestones and capitalization table.
- Negotiate the intellectual property licensing terms.
- Form the new company.
- Execute license to startup company.
All income (whether from royalty or equity) is distributed according to Regent’s policy.