Research Compliance Training Guide
The following is a collection of training guidance and requirements for conducting research at the University. Each area has its own specific training requirements so please contact the individual unit for clarification or specific questions. This guide was created together with members of the Research Integrity and Safety Collaborative (RISC) and compiled by the Risk Intelligence and Compliance Team.
Human Research Protections
Training requirements for all researchers and research personnel involved in the conduct of research with humans. The University is dedicated to meeting the highest ethical standards in research practices involving human participants through Advancing Human Research Protections.
Where to Look for Human Research Protections Training
- Required for IRB protocol approval: IRB Required Training
- Targeted training: Human Research Protection Course Offerings
- Required for all faculty and students: HIPAA Training
- Tool to customize your training roadmap: Human Research Training
- Training targeting specific aspects of research: Clinical and Translational Science Institute's Training Roadmap
Animal Care & Research
Training information for all University employees, students, and personnel who are working with laboratory or agricultural animals.
Where to Look for Animal Care and Research Training
- All UMN personnel conducting research with animals: IACUC's Mandatory Training & Education
- To access facilities managed by Research Animal Resources: RAR's Facility Access & Training
Health & Safety
Requirements and training resources to remain in compliance with University policies for anyone performing research with or near biohazardous materials, radiation, or working in a research laboratory.
Where to Look for Research Health and Safety Training
- Research involving biological agents: Biosafety Training Requirements
- Research and teaching activities involving potentially hazardous biological agents: Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) Education & Training
- Research involving anyone working in research labs: Lab and Research Safety Training
- Research involving employees working around radiation: Radiation Safety Training
Ethics & Compliance
All university faculty, staff, and students who serve on research projects are responsible for the ethical and safe conduct of research, meeting regulatory requirements, and participating in ethical practices.
Where to Look for Research Ethics and Compliance Training
- All faculty, staff, and students who serve on research projects: Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
- Annual UMN Research Ethics Week, including Research Ethics Conference
- Research involving transfers or transactions with foreign entities: Export Controls
- Conflict of Interest and REPA: University Conflict of Interest Program
- Compliance concerns and reporting: Reporting Research Misconduct
Finance & Research
Find courses, certifications, conferences, and professional development opportunities available in several different areas of sponsored research administration.
Where to Look for Research Financial Training
- Courses, certifications, conferences, and professional development opportunities: Sponsored Projects Administration Training & Education
- Financial reporting at the U: Sponsored Financial Reporting Training
- Effort reporting: Effort Reporting Training
Technology & Information Security
To access researcher tools and technologies, some training may be offered or required by the Office of Information Technology. Technology Commercialization helps researchers to disclose/license IP, partner with industry, or develop a path to commercialization.
Where to look for Research Technology and Information Training
- Self-directed training depending on tools needed to conduct research: OIT Training & Events
- Technology Commercialization: Resources for University Inventors
Find Your Training Record
- View all your training that occurred before June 1, 2018: “My Training" section in the UMN Training Hub
- View your complete training history in MyU's Reporting Center: How to Find Training Records in Reporting Center
- Questions about accessing your Training Hub record: Contact the University’s Technology Help Desk