University of Minnesota
Institutional Review Board

Institutional Review Board homeIRB

Reporting research complaints and concerns

Concerns and feedback are welcomed by the Human Research Protection Program (HRPP). The HRPP office responds to all concerns about research involving human subjects that is reviewed by the University of Minnesota Institutional Review Board (IRB). Professionals familiar with research and the ethical and regulatory requirements are prepared to assist you with your concerns.

Complaints, concerns, or questions may be raised by research subjects (past, present and potential), family members, designated spokespersons, or anyone. Complaints, concerns, or questions may be provided to the HRPP by phone or in writing.

If available to you, the following information will help us begin working to resolve your concern:

  • The IRB study number (listed on the research consent form – for example, 1231M12345)
  • The Principal Investigator’s name
This information will be helpful – but is not required to communicate a complaint, concern or question.

How to report concerns

You may choose to report a complaint, concern or question in any of the ways listed below.

University of Minnesota research participants and Fairview Health Services research participants/patients

Submit through the online HRPP Feedback Form

By phone:
Research Subjects' Advocate Line: 612-625-1650
The subject advocate line is monitored Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
HRPP typically responds within one business day to voicemails with contact information included.

By mail:
D-528 Mayo MMC 820
420 Delaware Street S.E.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, 55455

Gillette Children's Specialty Hospital research participants/patients

Contact Gail Pries: 651-229-1732
Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare
200 East University Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55101

You may also use UReport to report any situation or University conduct you believe violates an applicable law, regulation, government contract or grant requirement, or University policy.