IBC homefiller

Incident reporting

Reporting any lab incidents in a timely manner is a critical part of the research process, and it's required by both the National Institutes of Health guidelines and University of Minnesota policies.

Incident reports help to protect the health and safety of researchers, lab staff, university employees and the general public, and are key to assessing the biggest essential training and resource needs of the university.

Principal investigators, co-PIs, and lab supervisors/staff can submit reports. Contact the IBC at ibc@umn.edu or 612-626-2161 if you need help determining if the incident is reportable.

What to report

According to the NIH, you must report "any significant problems pertaining to the operation and implementation of containment practices and procedures, violations of the NIH Guidelines or any significant research related accidents and illnesses to the IBC, NIH OBA, and, as applicable, the Biological Safety Officer, Greenhouse or Animal Facility Director or other appropriate authorities."

Types of incidents include, but are not limited to:

  • Spill or accident involving rDNA or potentially hazardous material
  • Personal injury such as a needle stick or eye splash
  • Overt personnel exposure such as inhalation
  • Illness such as a lab-acquired salmonella infection
  • Breach of containment or failure to follow approved containment conditions
  • Escape or improper disposition of a transgenic animal
  • Serious adverse events resulting from human gene transfer research

How to report

Direct any incident reports to the IBC immediately in order to comply with institutional requirements.

For protocols approved in eProtocol, please submit through eProtocol.

For all other protocols, fill out the Incident Report form and email to ibc@umn.edu.

Word docIncident reporting form

Free posters

Help spread the word about the importance of incident reporting by putting up one of our posters (11x17) in your lab.

IBC Posters Click here to download